Exactly a week ago, I flew down the highway to Macomb, IL. My mission was to make balloon sculptures at my great-niece Savannah’s first birthday party. I knew there would be a lot of children there, so it would be a perfect test for the new balloon pump.
The maiden flight of the new balloon pump at the Ben-Ezrah party was less than spectacular, but it worked. The vacuum cleaner belt we had used as an o-ring had stretched out with all the times we removed and then replaced it while we tried to get the groove it sat in to the correct depth. As a result, the belt rolled around when I used the pump and made the action extremely rough.
Fortunately, I had an extra belt. Replacing it and then just a bit more sanding made the action so much easier to use. It still requires a little muscle, but it’s possible to fine-tune it. The goal is to get it to work with minimal physical force.
A working pump gave me the opportunity to practice my balloon sculpting before the party. I got to know my old friends again: The dog, the giraffe, the turtle, etc. The sky was overcast and it was fairly cool, but I still began to drip sweat after about an hour of sculpting. Balloon twisting doesn’t require much effort, but 18 years of being virtually chained to a desk can make even that a bit of a challenge.
The balloons were a big hit with the kids and I had a ball doing it. I’m looking forward to doing more sculpting in the future!